Friday, July 4, 2008

Kirsten's Tasting Bio


I am 33 years old today and my husband comes to me and says lets start a wine tasting blog. Why not I say – I love wine. So here is some of my history and who I am as a wine taster. I have always enjoyed a drink now and again. I like a wide variety of alcoholic beverages but I'm usually a two or three drink limit kinda-gal. Not that I'm not a good time after that but I tend to lose a little too much self control and say or do things I later regret. ( I think if we concentrate hard enough on our past experiences we all kinda fit into this category). So anyway I started getting interested in wine soon after I was old enough to drink alcohol legally. I first fell in love with the idea of wine after seeing the movie A Walk in the Clouds with Keanu Reeves, it is a very romantic movie that takes place on a homestead vineyard (I totally recommend watching it if you never have). Wine is something that has always been at family gatherings and so I guess I can blame (or credit) my parents for one more thing in my life! Most family gatherings have a few staples on the bar, Vodka and Tonic, squirt or lemonade; Wine; and beer. I enjoy a beer now and again and I do like a V&T but I really have never been one to request hard liquor over the option of beer or wine. I feel the affects too fast and I tend to sip wine rather than drink it like a beer. So that being said over the past 5 years or so I've been more adventurous about my wine selections. I'm not extremely picky and I can find the good in almost any bottle of wine where as Kevin usually sticks to the sweet dessert type wines. I like German wines and Australian wines right now but am very open minded. I like the adventure of buying a bottle of wine and really not sure what I'm going to get and I like the fact that I can relax with two glasses of wine and not feel too much of the alcohol. I love the health benefits which are much more of a plus for wine than any other form of alcohol. I currently am in a lifestyle change that includes eating according to the diabetic exchanges and a glass of wine counts the same as a serving of fruit where as any other alcohol is pretty much empty calories. I am looking forward to doing more research on types of wine and national backgrounds and flavors. This will be a learning experience for all of us and I hope you enjoy the ride.

No comments: